The Workforce Development/Continuing Education department offers the Manicure/Nail Technology program which includes a combination of classroom theory, lab, and nail salon experience. The first 4 weeks will consist of theory and hands on practice of beginner nail services. The remainder of the semester will consist of theory and hands on practice of advanced nail services. Students will participate in a student-based Nail Salon, that will be open to the public with discounted nail services. Students will practice their newly learned skills on live models and mannequin hands/feet.
This comprehensive course provides instruction and clinical practice in manicuring, nail building (application and maintenance of artificial nails) and pedicuring. The course content includes nail anatomy, disorders of nails, and irregularities of nails; theory and salesmanship as it relates to manicuring; actual practice in manicuring; and arm, hand, and foot massage. Manicurist students must complete 300 hours in an approved beauty school or college before applying to the State Board of Cosmetic Arts for examination. Students enrolled only in manicuring shall only perform services directly relating to the prescribed course in manicuring. Please note, this is a comprehensive course to provide training for those persons interested in becoming registered manicurists only and not desiring to become licensed cosmetologists.
Course Meeting Information: 340 Hours
Spring 2023 Schedule:
Dates: January 9, 2023 – May 9, 2023
Days: Monday -Thursday
Time: 10:00am – 3:30pm (30-minute lunch break TBD)
Class will not meet on 1/16, 3/6-3/9, 4/6-4/12 due to either holiday or faculty/student break.
Students must attend a minimum of 300 hours to complete the Manicuring/Nail Tech requirements to sit for licensing exams***
Course Meeting Location(s):
CSB (Cochrane Science Building, Lincoln Campus) Room 025
Lincoln Campus Map
(For pricing, please visit or contact the Gaston College bookstore, 704-922-6428) or visit the online store at https://bookstore.gaston.edu/.
Books must be purchased through the GC Bookstore to receive a seat in the digital education section.
- Fundamentals Cosmetology Digital Education Package (digital access to all 171 lessons in Fundamentals Cosmetology)
- Printed Salon Fundamentals Nail Textbook, Study Guide and Exam Prep
- Printed FUNC113 Nail Book
Gaston College Manicuring/Nail Technology students are required to purchase a set of navy-blue uniforms. Navy blue scrub top, navy blue scrub pants, navy blue lab jacket is optional. You are required to have the GC logo on your scrub tops and lab jackets. Below is a list of uniform companies that carry the uniforms and logo:
- Outfitters Uniforms- 1563 N. Aspen St. Lincolnton, NC 704-240-3557
- Knighten’s Uniforms- 2479 E. Ozark Ave. Gastonia, NC 980-320-1034
- Pinks Uniforms- 215 S. Broad St. Gastonia, NC 704-864-3334
Students will be required to have a pair of solid black leather or leather-like shoes with a closed toe and heel with solid black socks, knee highs, or panty hose. All-leather athletic shoes are permitted ONLY if they are completely black.
Class space is limited to 10 students and enrollment is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Estimated Course Costs:
Included in Tuition (Due upon Registration): $305
- Tuition – $180
- Fees – $12
- Malpractice insurance – $13
- Nail Kit – $100
Additional costs (To be purchased by student):
- Books – $400 (approximately)
- Uniforms – $85.00 and up (navy blue scrub top with GC logo embroidered, navy blue scrub pants, all black socks, all black leather or leather like shoes)
- Shoes – $50.00 (approximately) students may purchase their own shoes (all black leather or leather-like) at a place of their choice
- State written and practical exam (after course is completed) – $173
Scholarships may be available in the form of reimbursement to offset the above costs. Students enrolled in the course will receive information on available scholarships within the first week of the course.
Students must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
PLEASE NOTE: Payment for continuing education classes is expected at the time of registration, as the classes are on a first-come, first-served basis. All costs must be paid for a student to be officially registered.
If you need assistance with Registration, please contact CE Registration at 704-922-6232.
- Visit www.gaston.edu and click on the Self-Service icon.
- Select the blue Continuing Ed. Registration icon near the bottom of the page.
- Select “Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes.”
- Search the course topic using the KEYWORD (nail tech).
- Select the course for which you would like to register using the check box on the left side of the table, and click Submit at the bottom of the webpage.
- Complete the online registration form and payment information. Be prepared to pay with a credit card using Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
Notes when using Online registration
- If you have an address change, name change, etc., we will need this updated information so we can contact you in case of a class change/cancellation or refund. Entering different information on the registration form will not update any existing records. If your information has changed, look for a link at the top of WebAdvisor Continuing Education page or click on the one provided here – Current/Former Students: please click here to provide us with a current email address and phone number if it has changed since first enrolling at Gaston College or you may call the Registration Department at 704-922-6232.
Online registration is not an option for all classes, or if the course fee will be waived. Credit card payments will only be accepted with Online and Walk In registration.
You cannot DROP/WITHDRAW from classes using WebAdvisor. If you need to drop or withdraw prior to the class start date, please contact the Registration Department at 704.922.6232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Person Walk-in (payment is due at the time of registration):
CE Registration Department
MYERS CENTER – 2nd floor
201 Highway 321 South
Dallas, NC 28034
Spring Hours: Monday through Thursday: 8am-5pm; Friday: 8am-12pm
If a student officially drops from a class or classes before the 10 percent date of the class(es), a 75 percent tuition refund will be given for the class(es) dropped. A 100% refund will be made if the student drops from the class prior to the class start date. No refunds will be given after the 10 percent date. If a course fails to materialize, refunds are automatically processed. (The refund policy is subject to change. Refunds of tuition will be issued in accordance with the current state and college policy.) To request a refund or transfer, please email email@example.com or call 704-922-6232.
For more information, please email us at ConEd@gaston.edu. Thank you for your interest in the Manicuring/Nail Technology course at Gaston College.