Vision, Mission, Strategic Plan
Gaston College aspires to be the college of first choice by providing exceptional learning opportunities that engage and empower students to achieve lifelong success.
Gaston College is dedicated to providing flexible, high-quality and accessible learning opportunities that are relevant and responsive to diverse regional, community and student needs.
Activities in Support of the Mission
- Provides comprehensive Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree programs designed primarily to prepare students to enter the workforce.
- Provides diploma and certificate programs consisting of a sequence of courses that frequently can be completed in one year or less by full-time students. These programs are intended for individuals seeking employment in a specific occupation.
- Provides Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), and Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.) degree programs primarily designed to prepare students to transfer to a four-year college or university.
- Provides developmental education to prepare students for entry into a degree, diploma, or certificate program.
- Provides adult literacy, English as a Second Language, and high school diploma or equivalency for students seeking to improve basic skills, complete high school requirements, prepare for the workforce, or enter post-secondary education.
- Provides continuing education programs for individual, personal, and professional development and for employee education and training to satisfy the skill development needs of business, industry, and public agencies.
- Assures quality in all educational programs by measuring performance on a set of well-established criteria and by identifying and analyzing program needs.
- Assures quality instruction by establishing effective, innovative, and professional teaching practices; by frequent evaluation of instructor effectiveness; and by updating methods, materials, technology, equipment, and facilities.
- Provides support services for all students, including services for students with disabilities and other special needs to support student success and completion of academic goals.
- Promotes collaborative relationships with school systems, colleges and universities, and with business and industry.
- Promotes positive relationships with the community and provides services that support economic, educational, and cultural efforts.
- Promotes access to educational programs through off-campus offerings and through distance-learning opportunities.
Integrity / Accountability:
We place public trust and honesty at the center of all interactions. We keep our commitments, act ethically, and are accountable for our actions and decisions.
We are committed to the success of every student, as evidenced by a faculty and staff who invest themselves in the lives of our students and our communities.
We believe in setting high standards and expectations that empower faculty and staff to help students achieve their goals.
We believe in conveying knowledge and skills through exemplary teaching that expands minds and changes lives. We embrace and encourage learning in our students and ourselves.
We strive to create dynamic and innovative solutions in all facets of our work. We commit ourselves to being data-informed problem-solvers for a better future.
Equity / Diversity:
We believe in the principles of respect, equity, and access, and that our similarities and differences are opportunities for establishing a common bond that strengthens the College.
Collaboration / Partnerships:
We strive to be a leader and partner in building strong and vibrant relationships with businesses, industries, stakeholders, school districts, transfer institutions, and community organizations.
- Equality and Acceptance
- Honor and Trust
Gaston College students, faculty and staff share a committed responsibility to nurture a mentoring, collaborative, and diverse culture of skilled lifelong learners who are empowered to succeed in a constantly changing world. Self-growth and empowerment are realized through many innovative processes, including an effective balance of assessment and evaluation. Empowered people set and achieve high standards of quality, create challenges for themselves and others, and support an active learner-centered environment offering real life educational experiences.
Strategic Directions & Goals (2019 – 2024)
Strategic Direction #1 | Commitment to Student Success & Completion
Strategic Goal: Gaston College will seek to identify and scale best practices to increase the number of students who complete courses, certificates, degrees and programs.
Strategic Direction #2 | Pathways to Programs & Partnerships
Strategic Goal: Gaston College will work closely with business and community partners to identify opportunities for academic and career pathways, both online and in person, to modify programs, services and offerings.
Strategic Direction #3 | Enhanced Student Engagement through Learning & Social Environments
Strategic Goal: Gaston College will optimize facility use by strategically scheduling classes to meet student needs and providing spaces that will enrich student engagement and community connections.
Strategic Direction #4 | Marketing, Public Relations, and Outreach
Strategic Goal: Gaston College will foster positive public relations and implement strategic marketing initiatives to increase community awareness and achieve enrollment goals.
Strategic Direction #5 | Organizational and Professional Development
Strategic Goal: Gaston College will provide opportunities to instill a culture of innovation and excellence through effective organizational communication, collaboration and engagement.