Supporting Your Needs
Gaston College provides equal access to higher education for individuals with disabilities. We serve the lifelong learning needs of a diverse population by providing comprehensive educational programs to all students, including those with disabilities. Gaston College provides education and support in compliance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. We look forward to assisting you in achieving your academic goals!
Eligibility for Accessibility/Disability Services
A disability is an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. We will provide reasonable accommodations to students who have a disability or disabilities including but not limited to:
- Visual Impairment
- Hearing Impairment
- Mobility/Manual Impairment
- Health Impairment
- Mental Health Impairment
- Cognitive or Learning Disorders
How to Register for Accessibility/Disability Services
Students are encouraged to begin the registration process with Accessibility Services in the early stages of their college planning. It is the student’s responsibility to self-disclose a disability and the need for accommodation. The following list of tasks must be completed in order for a student to receive services from an Accessibility Counselor. Each aspect of the list below is critical in the process of determining a student’s eligibility for accessibility services. Please review the following checklist and complete the listed tasks in a timely manner.
- Complete the Student Intake Form.Gaston College students requesting accommodations must complete the online student intake form and submit qualifying documentation prior to meeting with an Accessibility Counselor. If you are unable to complete the online Student Intake Form, please contact the Accessibility Counselor for assistance. View the Guidelines for the Documentation of disabilities. Please note, submission of documentation does not guarantee eligibility for services.After careful review, the Accessibility Counselor will contact you to either schedule an appointment to create an accommodation plan or ask for more documentation if what was provided is insufficient.
- Meet with Accessibility Counselor. Once the Student Intake Form has been completed, you will meet with the Accessibility Counselor to discuss the appropriate accommodations/support services needed, based on the documentation provided and the courses you will be taking. An accommodation plan will then be created for the current semester and you will receive a copy of the plan. Please note, accommodation plans must be updated each semester by visiting the Accessibility Counselor. Sample Accommodation Plan.
- Contact Instructors to discuss accommodations. After receiving a copy of the accommodation plan, you should arrange a to meet with instructors before the start of class to discuss the accommodation plan. It is important that instructors and students are on the same page in regards to how accommodations will be implemented in a course. Please update your Accessibility Counselor regarding any changes to your course enrollment so your instructors can be contacted.
Gaston College provides interpreting for scheduled classes, labs, and other college events or academic activities. If you require interpreting services, please complete the Interpreter Request Form.
Gaston College Libraries are committed to providing a usable web experience to all users including those with special needs or disabilities. View the list of assistive technologies available at Gaston College.
STUDENT ACCESSIBILITY HANDBOOK
To learn more about the guidelines, policies, and procedures related to Accessibility Services, please read the Student Accessibility Handbook.
NC DIVISION OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION SERVICES
Some students with disabilities find what they need is additional support from community resource providers. If you are not currently employed, you may wish to contact Vocational Rehabilitation (VR), a federal agency that assists individuals with disabilities in finding employment and living independently.
To contact the VR office in the city where you live, click here.
For additional resources for persons with disabilities, you may view a list of Federal ADA and Disability Resources.
REPORT A WEB ACCESSIBILITY ISSUE
Report a Web Accessibility Issue
Notification of Nondiscrimination
Gaston College’s Notification of Nondiscrimination
Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
* Friday: 8 a.m. – Noon
*Gaston College adopts a flex-schedule during the summer months and is closed on Friday from mid-May through mid-August.