At Gaston College, we are committed to providing equal access to higher education for individuals with disabilities. We serve the lifelong learning needs of a diverse population by providing comprehensive educational programs to all students, including those with disabilities.

Accessibility/Disability Services

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Supporting Your Needs

Gaston College provides education and support in compliance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you have a documented disability and would like to discuss how you may be eligible to receive special accommodations while attending Gaston College, please call the Counselor – Accessibility at 704-922-6224 or 704-922-6220. We look forward to assisting you in achieving your academic goals!

Eligibility for Accessibility/Disability Services

A disability is an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. We will provide reasonable accommodations to students who have a disability or disabilities including but not limited to:

  • Visual Impairment
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Mobility/Manual Impairment
  • Health Impairment
  • Mental Health Impairment
  • Cognitive or Learning Disorders

How to Register for Accessibility/Disability Services

If you think you need special accommodations while attending Gaston College, please contact the Counselor – Accessibility at 704-922-6224 or 704-922-6220 to schedule an appointment. You will complete a confidential Disclosure Form, and we will discuss your challenges and needs in a college setting. You will need to provide documentation written and signed by a credentialed professional, usually within the past three years, that states your diagnosis or diagnoses and any limitations caused by your disability.

For more information about becoming eligible for special accommodations, please read Fast Facts about Disability Services and the Student Guide to Disability Policies and Procedures.

Additional Resources

Some students with disabilities find what they need is additional support from community resource providers. If you are not currently employed, you may wish to contact Vocational Rehabilitation (VR), a federal agency that assists individuals with disabilities in finding employment and living independently.

NC Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services
To contact the VR office in the city where you live, click here.

For additional resources for persons with disabilities, you may view a list of Federal ADA and Disability Resources

Notification of Nondiscrimination

Gaston College’s Notification of Nondiscrimination


Contact Information

ZaMyra Dow-Shaw
Counselor – Accessibility

Shamere Carpenter
Counselor – Lincoln Campus