The Learning Center’s primary function is to provide academic support services to the general student population which includes the following:
- Peer-Tutoring Services: This program provides tutorial services in selected general education courses for all students by appointment or walk-in basis. All tutors undergo initial training and meet regularly for planning, evaluation, and skills development. Tutoring services are available for students having difficulty in passing a course and for students wanting to improve.
- Help for under-prepared students: Under-prepared students who arrive at Gaston College need special assistance during their first few semesters on campus and beyond. Through the Learning Center, these under-prepared students are provided with support, special attention, and academic tutoring.
Gaston College Learning Center will be the individual student’s primary academic support resource, providing direction and expanding learning. The Center will address the student’s understanding of immediate material, and his or her own learning process, resulting in the learner’s self-actualization.
Gaston College Learning Center serves academic and other empathetic needs of the students, faculty, and staff within a fully inclusive, student-centered environment. The Learning Center will collaborate with its stakeholders to represent Gaston College and serve as a model for innovation, advocacy and progress, providing trained staff and cultivating customer devotion. As a positive support framework, the Center is vitally committed to fostering success and expanding learning.
- To help students become more independent, self-confident, proficient learners.
- To provide a safe and proper academic environment for the students of Gaston College.
- To provide quality peer tutoring to help students achieve their fullest academic potential.
- To provide ongoing training and certification for peer tutors.
- To provide community outreach tutoring services to area elementary schools.
Rules of the Center
- Students must apply in person at the Dallas or Lincoln campuses for tutoring services.
- Students may receive up to three hours per week of tutoring per semester.
- Students are expected to notify the Learning Center if tutoring appointments are missed. Two missed appointments may result in the student being dropped from the program for the remainder of the semester.
- Cell phones must not be used in the tutoring areas, testing areas, and computer labs.
- Students are expected to use the computer lab for legitimate academic work only.
- Students may not bring food or drinks into the Learning Center.
- Children are not allowed in the Center.
Hours of Operation
The Learning Center operating hours at the Dallas, Lincoln, and Kimbrell Campuses are noted below:
Dallas Campus Hours
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 am- 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am- 12:00 pm
Lincoln Campus Hours
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 am- 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am- 12:00 pm
Kimbrell Campus Hours
Monday and Thursday: 4:00 pm- 8:00 pm
Want to be a tutor?
Meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA required.
- Completion of course(s) being tutored with a grade of “B” or better required or recommendation from an instructor required if still enrolled in course.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Good interpersonal communication skills required.
- Must be responsible, reliable, and dependable.
- Critical thinking skills and ability to process information and manage time and resources required.
- Eligible for hire by Gaston College.
Director of Learning, Persistence, and Completion Center
Learning Center Specialist – Lincoln Campus
Lincoln Campus, Room 206