The course requirements for graduation will vary depending on your major. In Self-Service, view your Student Plan to see how many courses you have left to meet the program requirements. If you need assistance finalizing your graduation requirements, contact your advisor.
There are two requirements for graduation:
- A 2.0 cumulative grade point average
- For an associate degree, diploma or certificate, at least 25 percent of semester credit hours of major courses or other required hours must be completed in attendance at Gaston College (residency requirement). Please note that some programs have minimum grade requirements. Please check with your academic advisor.
Graduation Application Procedures
An Application for Graduation must be submitted via Self-Service by the date published on the academic calendar. Log into Self-Service and click the Graduation Cap on the left to access the application. Please contact Records and Registration at 704.922.6232 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- If you finish graduation requirements in the fall semester, your Graduation Application is due during the summer semester.
- If you finish your graduation requirements in the spring semester, your Graduation Application is due in the fall semester.
- If you finish your graduation requirements in the summer semester and would like to participate in the commencement ceremony, your Graduation Application is due in the spring semester.
Graduates with Honors
Graduates with a 3.8 or above GPA on all work completed at Gaston College are eligible for a degree or diploma with high honors. As a graduate with high honors, you will wear a gold cord at the commencement ceremony. The cords are picked up in the Records and Registration Office prior to graduation. We congratulate you on achieving academic excellence!
Graduates with a 3.5, but below a 3.8, GPA on all work completed at Gaston College are eligible for a degree or diploma with honors. As an honor graduate, you will wear a burgundy cord at the commencement ceremony. The cords are picked up in the Records and Registration Office prior to graduation. We congratulate you on your academic achievements!
For information about the Commencement Ceremony, please visit Graduation Central.