Office Administration Student Receives Scholarship

Emma Patrick, a student in the Gaston College Office Administration/Office Finance program, is the winner of a scholarship from the North Carolina Computer Instruction Association. The announcement was made on March 8 at the association’s annual conference, which was held at Forsyth Technical Community College in Winston-Salem. Emma won the Jack and Argavick Scarboro Memorial Scholarship, sponsored by The R. Ray Ruffin Foundation. 

Emma first attended Gaston College in 2015 as a cosmetology student and obtained her Cosmetology License the same year. She returned to the College in August 2021 with the intention of starting a new career path and will graduate in May with an associate degree. “Although I loved my job as a cosmetologist, I am excited to use a different skill set,” she said. “I am confident I will learn and grow in a job in the financial department of a company.”   

Leslie Martin, Associate Dean of Career and Technical Education and an Instructor of Office Administration, nominated Emma for the scholarship. “Emma is the type of student you love to have in class. She has a drive to be the best that she can be and learn as much as possible,” she said. “Emma strives to complete all assignments with perfection. She pays attention to details. She is a hard worker. I am certain she is going to make an outstanding employee, and they will be lucky to have her commitment, drive and determination.”  

Because Emma was unable to attend the conference, Leslie accepted the award on Emma’s behalf and presented it to her on Friday, March 31, 2023. “Winning the scholarship is a huge blessing,” Emma said. “I am so thankful to Mrs. Martin for not only nominating me, but for being such an amazing and caring instructor. I feel extremely proud to have won. I strive to do my best in my schooling, and it feels amazing to be recognized for meeting the requirements and winning this scholarship. My 2-year-old daughter Mina is my biggest motivation!