Student Spotlight: Tyler Russell

Vet Tech Student Tyler Russell in the ClassroomAfter his military service, Tyler Russell worked in the trades as a pipefitter/welder, but after some time he realized it wasn’t the right fit for him. In the fall of 2022, he “circled back to an early passion” and enrolled in the Vet Tech program at Gaston College. The program’s outstanding reputation – it has ranked as one of the best Veterinary programs in the nation every year since 2019 – and top-notch facilities and instructors made it an easy choice for him. 

Tyler is working toward becoming a Registered Veterinary Technician and he hopes his externship with Animal Eye Clinic in Matthews, N.C., will help him transition to full-time employment there. He will “officially” graduate from Gaston College in August after completing the externship but will walk with his classmates at the graduation ceremony in May. He then plans to earn his credentials as a Veterinary Technician Specialist in opthalmology and/or anesthesia while working at Animal Eye Clinic. 

How is Gaston College helping Tyler own his momentum? “It’s really more of a ‘lease-to-own’ on my momentum,” he says. “I need to continuously feed the fire to keep moving forward and the College and my instructors have given me all the resources I need to burn as fast or as bright as I desire.  

“Without a doubt,” Tyler continues, “the Vet Tech program is the perfect environment for fostering technical skills and creating critical thinking professionals for veterinary medicine. The combination of knowledge and hands-on experience I am receiving at Gaston College is setting me up for a rewarding, successful career.”