2023 Grad Spotlight: Brian Rushing

Rhino fans may recognize the voice of the play-by-play announcer at select games, but they probably have no idea that the voice belongs to Brian Rushing, who graduated from the Gaston College Broadcasting and Production Technology program in May. This is the culmination of a long educational journey that began when he first enrolled at the College in January 1991.   

Thirty-plus years ago, Brian was uncertain about where his career path would take him, and he admits he was a less than serious student. He had no idea how to get into broadcasting, but he thought it was something he would enjoy so he began exploring opportunities. He has been working in that field for almost 20 years. “I am self-taught,” he said. “I have a natural bent for storytelling—something I picked up from a really great baseball broadcaster. A great storyteller can meander through several rabbit holes and weave an hours-long story that seems like only minutes.” 

His aptitude led him to working with the Gaston College sports broadcasting team, and the Broadcasting and Production Technology program was the obvious path toward him finally completing his education. He has faced rejection in the broadcasting industry due to his lack of a degree, and he feels his associate degree could eliminate that hurdle. “I wish I had graduated sooner, as it may have opened doors faster for me,” he said. “But I wish I had skipped my English class to inquire about broadcasting in 1991. Who knows what I would have found out.” 

Graduation in May was even more meaningful for Brian because his youngest daughter, Rebekah Taylor, also participated in the ceremony. Rebekah started at Gaston College in fall 2021 and earned her associate degree in Business Administration with a focus on Human Resources. “Rebekah has done a great job studying for her degree while being a mom and working,” Brian said. “There is much to be proud of her.” 

Regardless of the impact having a degree may have on Brian’s career, he is happy that he has persevered. “I would love to say that graduation will change the trajectory of my life,” he said. “That may not happen. What it does say is I managed to tough it out and get my degree. That’s admirable. If it helps me land my dream job, all the better. At age 50, I still dream. That keeps me young and that can inspire anyone!