2023 Grad Spotlight: Lance Kale

Lance Kale 2023 graduateLance Kale earned an associate degree in business administration from Gaston College in fall 2022, but it will feel official to him when he walks in the commencement ceremony on May 12. That ritual marks the culmination of a decades-long educational journey. 

He first enrolled in community college in 1993, but dropped out when he was offered a job. That job eventually ended, and Lance got the opportunity to return to school via the Workforce Investment Act, a law that provided federal funding to implement programs to prepare individuals for entry into the workplace. He enrolled in Gaston College in 2003 and earned his associate degree in general education in 2006, but still needed some courses to get the business administration degree that was his ultimate goal.  

At that time, personal and family obligations made it necessary for him to work full-time without the feasibility of attending classes and it has always bothered him that he hadn’t completed the required coursework. “A fire was burning in me,” he said, “and I wondered if I still had one good run left in me after all this time.” He visited the College and inquired about what he needed to achieve his goal. With the support and encouragement of Gaston College staff, he returned to school in August 2022. He took a full course load of four classes, and in December he earned his degree in business administration as well as certificates in core management and small business management. He finally finished what he’d started in 1993. 

Although the business administration degree will help him as the owner and operator of Kale Tile Installation, a company that he started in 2005, he may use the degree as a springboard to make a career change one day and he is considering the possibility of pursuing a bachelor’s degree. 

Lance thoroughly enjoyed his Gaston College experience, from interacting with the faculty, staff, and students to attending home and away Gaston Rhinos games, and he is counting the days until the graduation ceremony. “At the age of 52, I’m probably going to be the oldest graduate,” he said. “It’s the utmost extraordinary feeling. I’ve earned my degree. but until I walk the stage I haven’t finished the race.” 

He is giving back to the College by establishing the Lance Kale 30 Year Journey Foundation Scholarship. “My wish is that it will grow so many students will have the opportunity to obtain a college degree without the financial burden,” he said.  

Lance has some words of wisdom for others who may feel they have missed their window of opportunity for getting a degree. “I am proof that it’s never too late. I want everyone to know that Gaston College has your best interest at heart and wants to see you succeed. Take that leap of faith and return to school.” 

Although the graduation ceremony will mark the end of Lance’s journey toward his degree, he says he will “always be close to and never far away from Gaston College. Go Rhinos!”