Student Spotlight: Keisha Cook

Keisha T. Cook’s interest in the Gaston College Medical Assisting program is, she says, “deep-rooted in passion and years of personal/professional experiences.” She enjoys helping others and has worked with children and adults with intellectual, developmental, physical, and mental disabilities, as well as individuals with a history of substance abuse. She intends to graduate from the program with an associate degree in May 2023.

Self-proclaimed as a “Mighty Rhino,” Cook received an associate degree from Gaston College in 2008 and went on to Belmont Abbey College to earn her bachelor’s degree in 2010. She currently works with a Comprehensive Third-Party Medical Reimbursement entity and is eager to continue in the health care profession. She returned to the College in 2021. “The Medical Assisting program will allow me to merge the medical knowledge and my experience together to educate and enhance patients as it relates to their overall health needs,” she said. Upon graduation, she hopes to work with one of the larger regional hospital systems.

Gaston College has given Cook the opportunity to pursue her dreams while also maintaining a full-time career. “Gaston College has created a holistic student experience for me and has allowed me to truly own my momentum,” she said. “The College helped me overcome the fears and insecurities of being a ‘non-traditional’ working adult student. The Medical Assisting program continues to heighten my passion to help persons with their medical needs.” 

Cook has taken pleasure in being part of a diverse student body with “stellar” classmates and instructors. “I take great pride in Gaston College and am continuously impressed with the programs available to current and prospective students,” she said. “The coursework and programs will harvest a new generation of professionals, entrepreneurs, and technically inclined persons.”