Gaston College Scholarship Opportunities for 2017-2018
Now is the time to apply for scholarships for the Gaston College 2017-2018 academic year. Here is some important information you’ll need to get started.
Do I have to complete the FAFSA to be considered for scholarships?
- To be considered for a Gaston College scholarship opportunity, a FAFSA must be on file in the Financial Aid Office.
- Please click here to complete a FAFSA.
When are scholarship applications accepted in Academic Works?
- Scholarship applications are accepted beginning March 1 and will be accepted throughout the year. Applications received by April 30th will have priority consideration for scholarship awards. Applications received after that date will be considered as funds are available.
How do I apply for scholarships?
- Click here to apply.
- List of Gaston College Foundation Scholarships
- Previous user, click the Sign-In button to log on.
- First-time users, click the Sign-Up button to register for a scholarship account.
- Your @mymail.gaston.edu email address will be required to log on to the scholarship system.
- A password is required to sign-up for an account. Please note the password is required to be exactly 8 characters long and contain at least 1 digit, 1 uppercase letter, and 1 lowercase letter.
- Upon signing up, you will receive a confirmation email to ensure your identity. Please make sure to check your spam folder for this email. Once you have confirmed your account, you can begin accessing the system.
- Complete the General Application to be considered for most scholarship opportunities.
- Apply for additional scholarship opportunities that have additional criteria and questions.
How will I know that I have successfully completed my application?
- You will receive a prompt if the General Scholarship Application has been successfully completed.
- Incomplete General Scholarship Applications will not be accepted.
- Required questions are marked with an asterisk (“*”).
Can I edit my application after it has been successfully submitted?
- Yes, previously submitted applications can be edited.
When will the award decisions be made and how will I be notified?
- Scholarship award notifications will begin approximately May 15th for applicants.
- Email is the official tool Gaston College uses to provide scholarship award notifications.
- Check your Gaston College student email regularly for updates.
After I have been notified that I have been awarded a scholarship, how do I accept it?
- If you are awarded a scholarship, an offer will be included as part of your notification email.
- You will be prompted to accept a scholarship offer in the email that is sent to you.
Are there additional requirements for accepting a scholarship offer?
- Awarded funds will not be applied to your account until a Thank You Letter is received by the Gaston College Foundation Office for each accepted scholarship.
- The deadline to submit the Thank You Letter is August 1, 2017.
- Scholarship recipients are required to attend the Scholarship Banquet in November 2017.
These scholarships are external. The application deadlines vary and may not match the deadline of the Gaston College Foundation Scholarships.
Community College STEM Scholarship – Deadline to apply is December 15, 2017 http://ncspacegrant.org/community-college-stem-scholarship-program
Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Scholarship This is a $4000 semester scholarship for those whose lives have been impacted by cancer. To apply, please click [here].
Vet Tech Schools Scholarship This is an annual $500 scholarship awarded to a veterinary student. The best 200-300 word essay on the topic of why you’ve chosen to study to work with animals will be selected. Applicants must be college students pursuing an associate’s degree or a certification as a Veterinarian, Veterinary Assistant or Veterinary Technician. High school seniors are also eligible if they plan to pursue studies in these fields, and will be at least 18 years of age by the date of scholarship disbursement. To apply, please click [here].
State Employees Credit Union “People Helping People” Scholarship
The SECU Foundation established this two-year scholarship program, providing two scholarships to each North Carolina Community College. Recipients must be NC residents and US citizens with demonstrated need. Scholarship recipients in good academic standing may receive the scholarship up to a maximum of four (4) consecutive semesters. The deadline to apply is located at https://gaston.academicworks.com. Recipients are selected by the Gaston College Scholarship Committee.
The State Employees Association of North Carolina (SEANC) Scholarship Foundation This scholarship is for SEANC members, their spouses and their dependent children, It is based on financial need, merit and member only. The application is available online at [www.seanc.org/membership/scholarship/ .
Wells Fargo Technical Scholarship
This fund was established through a gift from Wells Fargo Bank to the NC Community College System.
To qualify as a candidate for this scholarship, a person must be full-time student enrolled in the second year of a two-year technical program, must demonstrate financial need and scholastic promise, and must use the scholarship to pay for books, tuition, and transportation. Students may apply online through https://gaston.academicworks.com. The recipient is selected by the Gaston College Scholarship Committee. The deadline to apply is located at https://gaston.academicworks.com.
There are numerous organizations that offer scholarships. Some of these scholarships are based on academics, county of residency, field of study, need, etc. You should search and apply for these outside scholarships independently. Several websites have been listed below to help get you started in your quest for these scholarships. No student should ever have to pay money to fill out a scholarship application.
Anthony Castelli Veteran’s College Scholarship Annual scholarship awarded to a current military veteran or honorably discharged veteran or parent, sibling, child or grandchild of a current or honorably discharged veteran. For more information, please click here.
Nordson Builds Scholarships ranging from $2,000 to $10,000 are available to students pursuing a major in manufacturing, STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), or business disciplines. Go to the application online at: www.nordson.com/BUILDS.
Chicago Injury Center Chicago Injury Center (CIC) is proud to offer a series of scholarships available to disabled veterans enrolled in: community college, under-graduate, or graduate course of study. This CIC scholarship program will award scholarships in the amounts of $1,000 (1), $500 (1) and $250. Please click the link to apply http://chicagoinjurycenter.com/cic-veteran-scholarship-fund/
Jagannathan Scholarships [Link] Deadline is located on the website. Residency restrictions apply and are only for schools in the UNC system.
The Community College STEM Scholarship [Link] provides a one-year, non-renewable award of $1,000 for students enrolled full time (minimum of 12 credit hours) at one of North Carolina’s Community Colleges. Students must be majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) field and be interested in pursuing a career that supports NASA’s mission including careers in the aerospace sector. Students must apply during their freshman year of community college.
The 2014 Crumley Roberts Next Step Scholarship [Link] is specifically designed for North Carolina community college students planning to transfer to accredited four-year colleges or universities.
The William G. & Hazel Hardin Education Scholarship,for up to $750 per year, is awarded to a rising college junior or senior pursuing a degree in preschool, elementary or secondary education. Applicant must have been a resident of Gaston, Randolph or Richmond County, NC for at least one year at the time of his/her application. You can apply for this scholarship at www.cfgaston.org, click on “Grant Seekers” page and you will see a link to the scholarships page.
The SuretyBonds.com Small Business Success Student Scholarship Program [Link] is open to students in every state. Applications may only be submitted online. Each student must submit a 500 to 1,000-word essay about “How small business ownership (personal, parent, grandparent, or legal guardian) has shaped you into the person you are today.”
Dr. Alma S. Adams Scholarship [Link] is awarded to students for outstanding community service and the use of artistic abilities to increase awareness about the toll of tobacco in underserved communities.
The Army Women’s Foundation Legacy Scholarship [Link]
Hispanic Scholarship Fund [Link]
United Negro College Fund [Link]
Gates Millennium Scholars Program [Link]
Coca-Cola Scholars Scholarship [Link]
Women’s Independence Scholarship Program, Inc. [Link]
College Foundation of NC Scholarship Wizard (CFNC) [Link]
Foundation for the Carolinas [Link]
The Community Foundation of Gaston Co., Inc. [Link]
Gaston County Schools Online Scholarships [Link]
College Prowler [Link]
My College Options [Link]
Scholarship America [Link]
College Scholarships [Link]
Asian and Pacific Islander Scholarship [Link]