Criminal Justice Academy (CJA)
State Mandated In-Service Training Courses
Criminal Justice Education and Training and Standards rules require that every law enforcement officer certified in NC must receive 24 credits of in-service training annually.
Gaston College offers required state-mandated in-service training classes including but not limited to:
- Firearms Training and Qualification
- Legal Update
- Officer Safety.
All Gaston College instructors are certified through NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.
Telecommunicators are required to take 16 credits of mandatory in-service training as of 2014.
Gaston College offers required state-mandated in-service training for telecommunicators including but not limited to:
- Customer Service and the 911 Professional
- Hitting the Wall: Avoiding Complacency.
Topics are updated on a yearly basis to reflect requirements through Criminal Justice Education and Training and Standards.
Gaston College offers a variety of certification/recertification courses to meet department needs. These include but are not limited to:
- Radar Operator
- Time-Distance Operator
- Radar/Time-Distance Operator
- Lidar Recertification
- Recognition Expert (DRE)
- Detention Officer Certification
- ASP Baton Certification
- Taser Certification
- Animal Control Officer Basic Training.
2023 Course Offerings, including Certification/Recertification Courses
SPECIALIZED TRAINING COURSES
Gaston College offers a wide variety of specialized training to meet the needs of local departments. This training includes but is not limited to:
- Accident Reconstruction Course
- Rapid Deployment: Immediate Response to an Active Shooter
- Law Enforcement Driving
- Basic Sniper Course
- SWAT Training
- Patrol Rifle
- Advanced Patrol Rifle
- PRISim (Simulator) Use of Force Training
- Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) Aerosol Spray
- School Resource Officer Training
- Bloodborne Pathogens and Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT)
- Basic Crisis Negotiations
- Traffic Crash Investigation
- Crisis Intervention Team Training.
Law Enforcement Links of Interest
The North Carolina Justice Academy
North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission
North Carolina Sheriffs’ Education and Training Standards Commission
The International Association of Chiefs of Police
The National Tactical Officers Association
NC Division of Emergency Management
NC Association of Chiefs of Police
Calvin Shaw, Director – APS 108
Joe Burch, Assistant Director – APS 107
Melanie Hoyle, Facilitator – APS 105