Motorcycle Basic Rider Course – Two Wheel
Thank you for your interest in the Motorcycle Basic Rider Course at Gaston College. The information you requested can be found below.
Learn to control your motorcycle and reduce the risks involved in riding. Although the DMV motorcycle skills test will be waived, the course does not exempt each applicant from taking the required North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles written test. Some insurance companies give a discount upon successful completion of the class.
Please review this information before registering for this class –
You must be able to ride a bicycle, and you must possess some degree of strength. THE COURSE IS PHYSICALLY DEMANDING!! You should be able to support a 300‑pound motorcycle while straddling it and you must have the ability to push the motorcycle for distances up to 120 feet. Heat and cold weather conditions can add to the strenuous conditions you’ll encounter while taking the course.
IMPORTANT NOTE!! Our courses are run through the Self-Supporting divisions of the Continuing Education Programs. This means that your tuition fee will not be refunded if you fail to show up for class, or if you fail to complete the course. The Basic Rider Course is conducted at a pace that results in successful completion for most novice riders. However, if you experience significant difficulty or become a safety risk to yourself or others, you will not be permitted to continue to ride.
Course Meeting Information:
There is a required introductory Motorcycle Safety Foundation E-course that must be completed prior to attending the Saturday class. We must have your current email address on file for you to receive the e-course information. If you register and pay to attend one of these classes you will be sent information via email on the Monday prior to class with the information you need in order to complete this E-course session and receive your completion number. The completion number will need to be given to your instructor(s) at the beginning of the Saturday session. If you will need access to a computer prior to the class, please contact us in order for us to assist you. If you have NOT received the email with E-course instructions by the Tuesday before the class, please email us at ConEd@gaston.edu or call 704-922-6315 to receive the information.
Must complete E-course and attend all 18 hours in order to complete the course.
Click on the following link to complete the required information needed in order to send your instructions and coupon code.
Course Meeting Location:
AHS-100 (Motorcycle Classroom Building behind Ashbrook High School) Motorcycle Range Map
Course Cost: $199.00
PLEASE NOTE: Payment for continuing education classes is expected at the time of registration, as the classes are on a first-come, first-served basis. All costs must be paid for a student to be officially registered.
Go to Gaston College WebAdvisor, under the gold Registration bar click Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes then Search For (Key Word) textbox type in motor and click Submit at the bottom of the webpage. Select the class you wish to take using the check box on the left side of the table, click Submit, and complete the requested information.
Notes when using Online registration:
- If you have an address change, name change, etc., we will need this updated information so we can contact you in case of a class change/cancellation or refund. Entering different information on the registration form will not update any existing records. If your information has changed, please call the Registration Department at 704-922-6252 or 704-922-6496.
- Online registration is not an option for all classes, or if the course fee will be waived. Underage students (16 and 17 year olds) are not eligible for online registration/payment, but may contact the program area responsible for the class to discuss the registration procedure. Credit card payments will only be accepted with Online and Walk In registration. You cannot DROP/WITHDRAW from classes using WebAdvisor.
- If you need to drop or withdraw prior the class start date, please contact the Registration Department at 704.922.6252 or 704.922.6496.
Walk-in (Payment is due at the time of registration prior to class date):
CE Registration Department
Myers Center – 2nd floor
201 Highway 321 South, Dallas, NC 28034.
Monday through Thursday: 8:00A-4:00P, Friday: 8:00A-3:00P.
No refunds or registration transfers will be allowed after 9 a.m. on the Monday prior to the class start date.
- Students should be at least 16 years old.
- It is recommended that all students have some practice balancing on a motorcycle prior to the class.
What to bring:
- Your personal DOT-Approved helmet (some loaner helmets are available)
- Eye protection, such as sunglasses
- Long-sleeved shirt and denim or other heavy material pants should be worn. Sleeves must be kept down at all times, per Motorcycle Safety Foundation rules.
- Over the ankle boots
- Full-finger gloves
- Rain gear (if needed). Class is held rain or shine.
- Food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in the classroom on Saturday and Sunday only.
If a student officially drops from a class or classes before the 10 percent date of the class(es), a 75 percent tuition refund will be given for the class(es) dropped. A 100% refund will be made if the student drops from the class prior to the class start date. No refunds will be given after the 10 percent date. If a course fails to materialize, refunds are automatically processed. (The refund policy is subject to change. Refunds of tuition will be issued in accordance with the current state and college policy.)
To request a refund or transfer within our refund policy guidelines, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-922-6232.
“Like” us on Facebook Gaston College Motorcycle Safety
For more information, please email us at ConEd@gaston.edu