UNC Charlotte – 49erNext
49erNext is a program for Gaston College students who plan to transfer to UNC Charlotte to pursue a bachelor’s degree. This unique program promotes student success by offering collaborative advising that helps students progress toward timely degree completion, coordinated financial aid planning, and career advising. 49erNext students are guaranteed admission at UNC Charlotte after completing an eligible associate degree while earning the required minimum GPA.* Note: Students are accepted into the program during the fall semester only.
In addition to the student services you receive at Gaston College, 49erNext students receive these benefits:
- guided transfer pathways for intended majors/programs at UNC Charlotte
- academic advising and career services support at Gaston College
- 49er athletic event student tickets
- recreation center (UREC) access ($25 fee per semester**)
- UNC Charlotte library access
- CATS All-Transit Pass ($25 fee per semester for light rail and bus access**)
- financial aid/FAFSA workshops
- major and career exploration workshops
Learn more https://49ernext.charlotte.edu/ about how to take advantage of the benefits on the UNC Charlotte campus.
Requirements to be Considered for the 49ERNEXT Program
- be a first time, full-time college student
- be pursuing one of the following transfer degrees (does not include Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts degree)
- Associate in Arts (AA)
- Associate in Science (AS)
- Associate in Engineering (AE)
- Complete Gaston College 49erNext program Interest Form
- Be pursuing a major offered at UNC Charlotte, except Architecture, Nursing, or Fine Arts. (Please talk to a Transfer Advisor at Gaston College if you wish to pursue any of these excluded majors to learn about other transfer pathways to UNC Charlotte.)
Requirements to Remain in the 49ERNEXT Program
- participate in mandatory advising each semester while enrolled at Gaston College
- remain in good academic standing
- submit “intended major” to Gaston College 49erNext Coordinator at the completion of 30 transfer credit hours
Requirements to Transfer to UNC Charlotte
- complete an associate degree at Gaston College and maintain a cumulative 2.0 minimum GPA (requirements will vary for competitive majors)
- complete UNC Charlotte admission application and send all required transcripts by set deadlines
- participate in the Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) program before first semester at UNC Charlotte
*GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the partnering community college from which they graduate. Earn an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of Engineering. Associate of Applied Science degrees are not transferable unless part of an approved bilateral agreement. Nursing and Architecture majors are excluded from the 49erNext program.
As participants in the 49er Next program, students are eligible to transfer into more than 75 undergraduate degree programs (130+ majors) at UNC Charlotte. While completion of the program requirements guarantees admission to UNC Charlotte, it does not guarantee admission into more selective degree programs. Some degree programs may have higher GPA and/or other admission requirements to be considered.
**Fees subject to change without notice.
TAKE THE NEXT STEP
To apply for the program please complete the 49erNext Interest Form.
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION
For more information concerning the 49erNext program, please contact: 49erNext Program Advisor at 49erNext@gaston.edu