The course requirements for graduation will vary depending on your major. In WebAdvisor, you can complete a degree evaluation to see how many courses you have left to meet the course requirements. There are two requirements for graduation:
- A 2.0 grade point average
- At least 20 semester credit hours for an associate degree or diploma must be completed in attendance at Gaston College. Courses numbered below 100 do not count towards graduation.
Graduation Application Procedures
A Petition for Graduation must be submitted to the Records and Registration Office by the date published on the academic calendar.
- If you finish graduation requirements in the fall semester, your Petition for Graduation is due during the summer semester.
- If you finish your graduation requirements in the spring semester, your Petition for Graduation is due in the fall semester.
- If you finish your graduation requirements in the summer semester and would like to participate in the commencement ceremony, your Petition for Graduation is due in the spring semester.
The petition will be turned into your Dean’s Office for approval. After the Dean’s approval, you will take your petition to the Placement Office and to the Business Office. There is a $45 graduation fee that is to be paid prior to bringing your petition back to the Records and Registration office.
Graduates with Honors
Graduates with a 3.8 or above GPA on all work completed at Gaston College are eligible for a degree or diploma with high honors. As a graduate with high honors, you will wear a gold cord at the commencement ceremony. The cords are picked up in the Records and Registration Office prior to graduation. We congratulate you on achieving academic excellence!
Graduates with a 3.5, but below a 3.8, GPA on all work completed at Gaston College eligible for a degree or diploma with honors. As an honor graduate, you will wear a burgundy cord at the commencement ceremony. The cords are picked up in the Records and Registration Office prior to graduation. We congratulate you on your academic achievements!