Veterans Affairs

Gaston College is approved by the NC State Approving Agency (NCSAA) to offer VA educational benefits through the Dept. of VA (DVA). Students who are eligible to receive veterans benefits must come to the Veterans Affairs Office on the second floor of the Myers Center located on the Dallas Campus to complete the necessary forms before benefits can begin.

Veterans Affairs

Things You Will Need

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

military friendly bronze metal

Certificate of Eligibility
If you do not have one fill out the appropriate form below

  • First-time users of GI Bill must file VA form 22-1990; this can be done at
  • Dependent of service member must file VA form 22-5490; this can be done at
  • Transferring Service member (previously received MGIB from another school) must update school (place of training) information through VA form 22-1995.
  • Transferring dependent of service member must file VA form 22-5495

Link to all required forms

Official Transcripts – High School and College Transcripts are required from all schools attended. They can be hand delivered in an unopened enveloped from previously attended school(s) or they can be mailed directly to:
Office of Admissions, Gaston College
201 Highway 321 South
Dallas, NC 28034-1499


The DVA will determine eligibility and send you notification of your eligibility via mail. If eligible, you will receive a certificate of eligibility that provides all information pertaining to your benefits under the education program that you have chosen. The letter provides you with the following information:

  • Notification that your application has been processed for a specific period, including inclusive dates for which payment will be issued, how many months of entitlement, and delimiting date.
  • Under Chapters 30, 1607, and 1606  the monthly rate of payment the student can expect to receive is included in the Certificate of Eligibility, with your rate of percentage of entitlement. These students must notify the VA on the last day of each month or within the 1st week after to verify enrollment.


All new students must meet with one of the Gaston College Academic Counselors prior to registration. After completing your admission process and testing if needed, the counselors will be happy to assist you on your career pathway. The Gaston College Counseling Center will be your initial counselor for most majors until a permanent academic advisor is assigned.


Changing of major is allowed but in order to change your major you must sit with a counselor from the Counseling Center. The student must notify Certifying Official for Gaston College located in the Financial Aid Office to ensure that your major change is put into the system for accuracy of your pathway. Chapter 31 students must speak with their Vocational Rehab Counselor before making any changes in their pathways. The Financial Aid Office is located in the Myers Center adjacent to the Counseling Center.

Academic Requirements

Minimum grade point average (GPA) for students receiving VA educational benefits (veterans, reservists, dependents) is 2.0. Students receiving VA benefits whose GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. If unsatisfactory progress continues, the students will have benefits suspended until the GPA returns to satisfactory status with a 2.0 GPA or better.

Schedule Changes

You must notify the Gaston College Certifying Official immediately if you change your class schedule to prevent overpayments. If you decide to increase or decrease the number of credits that you are taking the Certifying Official must be notified in order to process paper work for your payment. You may be required to reimburse the VA funds received if you drop classes, are considered a No Show (NS) or if you Withdraw (W) without mitigating circumstances.  Only courses required for your current major are eligible for VA payment.

Monthly Verification

Students under Chapter 30, 1606,  and 1607 are responsible to notify the VA on the last day of each month or within the 1st week after to verify your enrollment status. You can call (877) 823-2378 or go on line at for enrollment verification.

Monthly Payments

VA monthly benefits are paid based on the credits student have registered for per semester.
Full time – 12 or more credits
Half time – 6 credits
Students enrolled in Post 9/11 Chapter 33 need to be enrolled in more than half time to receive BAH benefits; otherwise you will only receive tuition and fees. Students enrolled in less than half time will receive benefits of tuition and fees only.

Called To Active Duty

If you are in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606 or 1607) and are called to active duty, you are entitled to a full refund of your fees. You are not required to pay back any VA money due to termination enrollment, but you are required to turn in a copy of your orders along with a refund request to the Veterans Office. It is the responsibility of the student to go to the Records and Registration Office and withdraw from all of his or her classes. Refunds will not be processed without proper documentation of orders to active duty status and deployment. If due to rapid recall, the orders can be faxed or mailed. All materials must be sent to Mrs. Alisa Roy to be processed.

Veteran’s Scholarship

Anthony Castelli Veteran’s College Scholarship Annual scholarship awarded to a current military veteran or honorably discharged veteran or parent, sibling, child or grandchild of a current or honorably discharged veteran. Application deadline is Memorial Day, May 25, and each succeeding Memorial Day. For more information, please click here.