Learn to Develop Android Mobile Applications
Acquire the skills to develop Android Mobile Applications at Gaston College
An in-depth view into the development of Android Mobile Applications is the second course in the Everything Digital on Demand series offered by Gaston College in collaboration with TechWorks of Gaston County. The 8-week course, Marketing for Mobile Development—Android, is presented on the College’s Kimbrell campus in Belmont and begins on October 24.
Participants in the course will gain the skill set and experience needed to build their own mobile applications. The curriculum covers the following topics:
- Introduction to the Java Programming Language that is required for Android development
- Using the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Android UI Design Concepts, Event Handling, and Alert Dialogs
- Managing multiple application screens and passing data between multiple screens
- Concurrency, Multi-threading, and Thread Communication
- Making HTTP Connections and using OKHttp Library
- Parsing JSON Data Types
- Managing UI Lists and Building Custom ListViews
- Using Picasso, Joda-Time and android-ago Libraries
- Using Fragments
- Using Firebase for data and file storage
- Location Services and Google Maps
Computers will be provided for use during the class or students may bring their own laptop computers, if they prefer. All of the software and the textbooks used in the course are included in the course fee of $1,920.
Also collaborating on this course is Appzly, Inc., a startup software development and consulting company that focuses on mobile and web application development. Dr. Mohamed Shehab, CEO of Appzly, Inc., is the primary instructor for the course. Dr. Shehab is also a professor at the College of Computing and Informatics at UNC-Charlotte. “This course is heavily hands-on and will give students a firsthand experience in building mobile apps,” said Dr. Shehab. “This collaboration with Gaston College and TechWorks aims at training the workforce with the goal of reducing the workforce tech skills gap.”
TechWorks of Gaston County is committed to creating a developer hub of workforce ready talent to address the large demand of tech jobs in the market. TechWorks is offering financial assistance for this course. The application for financial assistance is intended for applicants with limited financial resources. “We offer financial assistance to both students and adults who are interested and passionate about developing mobile application skills,” said Terry Cox, Executive Director of TechWorks. “We prefer applicants who have some coding knowledge for this particular course.”
Marketing for Mobile Development—Android runs from October 24 to December 14, and meets on Tuesdays from 6 to 9 p.m. and on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Gaston College Kimbrell campus is located at 7220 Wilkinson Boulevard in Belmont, North Carolina.
Those interested in learning more about this course are invited to attend a free, one-hour information session on Tuesday, October 3, at 4 p.m. on the Gaston College Kimbrell Campus Classroom Building.
For registration and information about the Mobile Development—Android course, and to apply for financial assistance, call the Gaston College Continuing Education office at 704-922-6250, or email ConEd@gaston.edu.
Additional courses in the Everything Digital on Demand series are scheduled to begin the week of January 8, 2018:
- Mobile Applications Development for iOS will be a six-week course, meeting on Monday and Wednesday nights
- Basic Web Development will be an eight-week course, meeting on Tuesday and Thursday nights
Detailed information about these courses will be available at a later date.