Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Admissions and Enrollment

Q: Do currently enrolled Huskins, Dual Enrollment or LEO students need to complete a new college admissions application?

A: Eligible students do not need to complete a new application for admission, but will need to be coded as a high school student and registered in the appropriate curriculum code. Additional information regarding student coding will be sent   to the colleges when it becomes available.

Q: Can new CCP students be denied admission until fall 2012?  (i.e. can the college just focus on getting fall 2011 Huskins students through their spring courses as well as any dual-enrolled student who was already enrolled in the fall)?

A: No. Students that are in the 11th or 12th grade and who meet the program eligibility requirements are eligible to enroll in the College Transfer (CT) or CTE pathway beginning spring semester of 2012. However, each college will be able to decide which certificates or pathways it plans to offer in the spring.

Q: Will high school students be able to enroll in any of our CCP programs for which they are “college ready”, or will their choices be limited to areas that match their chosen HS career clusters?

A: High school students may enroll in any pathway for which they are college ready and meet all of the program eligibility requirements.

Q: We understand that going forward, all new students will need to take one of the prescribed pathways but what do we do with students who are already 3/4 through with a traditional program of study? Will they have to take additional course work if they have not had the exact courses in the prescribed pathways?

A: High school students currently enrolled during the fall 2011 semester may continue in a CT or CTE pathway provided that they have a grade of “C” or higher in their current college course(s).

Q: To be grandfathered for the spring 2012 semester must the fall 2011 student complete the STEM course in fall 2011or can the STEM course be from a previous semester?

A: To be grandfathered into the spring 2012 semester, the student must be enrolled in the fall 2011 semester and complete the STEM course(s) with a grade of “C” or higher.

Q: Are freshmen and sophomores (9th and 10th graders) grandfathered? 

A: Currently enrolled students, including freshmen and sophomores, who have earned a grade of “C” or higher in fall semester 2011 college courses, are grandfathered and may be enrolled in a Career & College Promise pathway in spring semester without having to provide test scores.  However, the students must meet course prerequisites for the college courses in which they enroll.  These students may continue in a Career & College Promise pathway as long as they maintain a 2.0 in college coursework after completing two college courses and continue to make progress towards high school graduation.

Q: Can 9th and 10th graders enroll in community college courses?

A: 9th and 10th graders may enroll in CIHSPs. Other high school students must be juniors or seniors to enroll in CT or CTE pathways.

Q: Are students who attend a high school outside of North Carolina—but are NC residents—allowed to participate in the CCP program?

A: High school 11th and 12th graders that reside in North Carolina are eligible to enroll in one of the CCP pathways.

Q: Are high school students allowed to take community college courses (especially online courses) outside of the geographic area that their local community college serves?

A: Yes. However, colleges are encouraged to identify distance learning or instructional service agreement opportunities to provide courses that students need.

Q: Students who are under 18 years old and are not a high school graduate can’t enroll unless a part of CCP. Does this eliminate our ability to serve early high school graduates (i.e. those who graduate in January after the spring semester begins)? Or, can they enroll under CCP provisions since they are still in high school when the course begins?

A: High school seniors that have not graduated from high school as of the first day of the college’s spring semester are eligible to participate in the CCP program provided that all other eligibility requirements for the pathway have been met.

Q: Are students allowed to register early even though they might not yet be in the 11th grade? (i.e., can a 10th grade student who is showing progress towards high school graduation register during the early fall registration period in March/April of their 10th grade year?)

A: Students may register for classes while they are in the 10th grade to accommodate their high school registration process. However, the high school must certify that the students are college ready prior to enrolling in the college pathway.

Q: CCP (CT and CTE pathways) only addresses providing college courses to high school juniors and seniors. Are there any avenues that would be available (other than Cooperative Innovative High Schools) for providing college courses for freshman or sophomores?

A: No, students who are not high school graduates or 18 years of age cannot enroll in community college courses unless they are enrolled in a CCP pathway. However, students enrolled during the fall 2011 semester may continue their enrollment in spring 2012 if they earn a grade of “C” or better in the college course(s) and meet all other course requirements.

Q: May Colleges have stricter requirements to enter one of the pathways?  For example, could we require students to place out of reading, writing, and math to enroll in the CTE Pathway?

A: No. Students that meet the high school GPA requirements and/or have the appropriate certification from their high school are eligible to participate in the program. Courses in certain CTE Certificates may have prerequisite requirements. For example, EDU has a reading prerequisite. Students must meet course prerequisites requirements before enrolling in the course.

Q: In the CTE pathways, where a student can be recommended by the principal when they don’t meet the minimum GPA requirement of 3.0, can a college set a bottom limit on what they will accept (say 2.4)?

A: No.

Q: Can a college set a minimum and maximum age limit for home schooled students? How do we know if they are juniors or seniors? Wouldn’t they be able to delay their own graduation so that they can finish the full associate’s degree tuition free no matter what their age is?

A: The home school student’s principal (usually the parent) must certify that the student is a junior or senior and is making progress toward graduation.

Q: Are high school students enrolled in the CTE pathway required to earn an industry recognized certification?

A: No. Students enrolled in the CTE pathway are not required to earn an industry recognized certification, but colleges are encouraged to provide such information if the opportunity is available.

Q: How will CCP students be coded to distinguish them from traditional students?

A: Codes will be added to Colleague that will allow the colleges to distinguish high school students from other community college students.

Q: What is the maximum number of college credits that a CCP student can take?

A: There is no maximum number of college credits that a CCP student can take as long as the student maintains a GPA of 2.0 or higher on the college courses while continuing to make progress towards high school graduation.

Q: Are CCP courses that are part of a specific “program of study” allowed to be offered ON high school campuses?

A: Yes.

Q: If college courses are offered on high school campus, should regular college students be allowed to take those course sections also?

A: Probably not. This is a decision that the Local School Administrative Units must make with regards to their security policies.

Q: Currently enrolled HS juniors and seniors in fall semester 2011 who have successfully completed a college transfer STEM course with a grade of “C” or better would be allowed to be enrolled in a CCP pathway in spring 2012 without meeting entry GPA or testing requirements.  Is this true even if they did not test as “college ready” in other subject areas?  Example…a HS student could have met the math placement test requirement and took a math course, but tested very poorly in reading or English

A: Yes. A high school student with a grade of “C” or better in a college transfer course will be allowed to enroll in a pathway for the spring 2012 semester. However, the student must meet all course specific requirements.

Q: There are some schools in the county (private schools) who do not give traditional grades. They use grades like pass/fail. What do we do about the minimum GPA requirements for this group of students?

A: These students must present information from their high school administrator verifying that they are College Ready. In addition, they must provide your admissions office with the appropriate scores on the college readiness assessment.

Q: Would it be allowable within certain transfer tracks (e.g., humanities and social sciences) to accept students who have satisfied an individual community college’s “college readiness” math benchmark, rather than require placement into MAT 161/171? For example, the college is considering making MAT 140 the gateway math course for A.A. transfer students. Therefore, requiring a humanities-track HS student to place into 161/171 would be above and beyond what would be required of an adult student who has similar academic goals.

A: Student enrolled in the 11th or 12th grade must meet the college readiness benchmarks on one of the approved assessments to enroll in the CT or CTE pathway.

Q: We are excited about the possibility that students may be able to apply for these programs through CFNC.org; however, will there be safeguards to prevent adult students from inadvertently applying to this program as well? We are concerned about any potential issues with tuition waivers going to the wrong students.

A: High school students will be identified by a unique code in Datatel. The proper coding will prevent the wrong students from receiving tuition waivers.

Testing and College Readiness Assessments

Q: The benchmarks for approved assessment tests mention PLAN, PSAT, Asset, Compass, & Accuplacer.  We also consider students college-ready if they attain a minimum score on the SAT’s.  Can we maintain this policy and allow admission to these programs for students who achieve our already established minimum SAT scores?

A: The approved college readiness assessments are PLAN, PSAT, Asset, Compass, and Accuplacer. Colleges may not use their own SAT or ACT college readiness scores. However, colleges may use the college readiness scores established by the ACT and College Board testing agencies.

Q: Are colleges required to use ALL of these as testing options to our students or can we limit the tests we use?

A: Colleges are not required to offer all of the placement assessments to high school students. However, high school students that wish to enroll in CCP pathways may demonstrate college readiness by successfully completing any of the approved assessment tests (PLAN, PSAT, Compass, Accuplacer, or Asset). Students must have college readiness scores in all three areas—math, reading, and writing of the same exam.

Q: If the student meets the benchmark through PLAN or PSAT, will they also have to take the college placement test (or have appropriate SAT or ACT scores) to meet the prerequisites for the course?

A: No. Students in the 11th or 12th grade will demonstrate college readiness by successfully completing one of the approved assessment tests.

Q: It appears that the CCP college ready ACT test scores are different than what we require for students at our college. Should we change our college wide scores to reflect this college ready standard? 

A: The college readiness scores are designed to indicate readiness for high school students seeking to enroll in college credits through the Career & College Promise program’s Core 44 College Transfer Pathway.  You may continue to use your       existing college scores for your traditional students.

Q: Will the high school students enrolled in CCP be allowed to take a Credit by Exam for classes that normally allow our college students to take an exam?

A: Students in the 11th or 12th grade that demonstrate college readiness may be allowed to receive credit college credit by exam.

Q: Will colleges be required to accept PLAN and PSAT for adult students since colleges must accept these scores for high school students?

A: No. PLAN, PSAT and other approved assessment scores can only be used to demonstrate college readiness for students in the 11th and 12th grade. You should continue to use your current testing and placement policies for adult learners.

Q: We are a pilot school for the developmental math redesign project.  Will the cut scores for determining college readiness be updated to reflect the new diagnostic testing system that the state will be implementing?

A: Yes. Cut scores for determining college readiness will be updated when the State Board of Community Colleges approves a new diagnostic assessment system.

Q: If a student doesn’t qualify for CCP using one of the approved assessment tests, will we be required to use a combination of tests for qualifying scores?  For instance, a student passes English and Reading on PLAN but fails math.  Can that student then take Accuplacer to try to pass math and use PLAN for English and Reading and Accuplacer for Math?

A: High school students must qualify as college ready on a single assessment. Colleges cannot use subsections of multiple administrations of the same test or multiple instruments to meet this requirement.

Q: I understand that a 41 is required on the ASSET in Intermediate Algebra. We currently require a 41 on the elementary algebra portion of the ASSET. Does this mean that we should begin testing students in the Intermediate portion of the test?

A: Yes. High school 11th and 12th grade students seeking admission to the CT pathway must have a 41 on the intermediate algebra section of Asset. Your adult student assessment scores may remain the same.


Q: Is the tuition waived for home schooled and private schooled students?

A: Yes. Tuition is waived for home schooled and private schooled students enrolled in the CCP pathways.

Q: Who pays for the cost of the student’s text books?

A: Colleges and the Local School Administrative Unit are to determine who will pay for the costs of student text books.

Q: Can a college offer courses to high school students on a self-supporting basis?

A: No. High school students taking college courses must be enrolled in a CCP pathway. However, colleges may offer summer courses to students enrolled in the CT or the CTE pathway on a self-supporting basis.

Q: Are student fees (e.g., technology fees and insurance fees) waived in addition to the waived tuition for CCP students?

A: No. The college and the local school administrative unit must determine how student fees are paid.

Q: Are any funds available to assist the high schools with transporting students to the college’s campus?

A: Funds are not available to assist students enrolled in the CT or CTE pathway with transportation. However, colleges and the LEA should develop a MOU regarding providing transportation for students enrolled in CIHSP.

Q: Will the funding model for early college high schools remain the same? In other words, will all state (or grant) funding continue to go directly to the LEA, including funding for the college liaison position?

A: Funding for Early College High Schools and Middle College High Schools remains the same in terms of being allocated to the LEA.

Program of Study

Q: Why are there specific “program of study” areas (e.g., Business and Economics) for the college transfer pathways and not just a general “program of study” for AA, AS and AFA areas?

A: The designated programs of study were selected provide a structured pathway that leads to transfer student success.

Q: Does the POS for CT pathways need Systems Office approval a minimum of days before offering courses (as in the Huskins Cooperative Program Agreement)?

A: The POS must be approved by the System Office prior to implementation of the CT pathway.

Q: Must the CTE certificates align with an existing curriculum standard or can colleges develop them independently with the local school administrative unit?

A: Yes. CTE certificates must align with the curriculum standard.

Q: Will colleges need to have state-level approval for all CTE diploma programs?

A: Yes

Q: Can a college substitute another course for ACA 122?

A: No. The college must offer an ACA course that is listed in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) and transferable to 4-year colleges and universities. Currently, ACA 122 is the only course that meets this requirement.

Q: When we submit our program of study, we can substitute courses into the templates. However, if I understood the information, I can only substitute ENG for ENG or HIS for HIS.  So if I would like to remove ART 111 and sub HUM 115 in CT pathway that is not allowed. Am I correct?

A: Correct. A college may not substitute a HUM course for Art 111. An exception is allowed for foreign language prefixes and for Public Speaking.

Q: We know that colleges must submit a program of study for review/approval for each CT pathway we plan to offer.  Under the CT pathway for Business & Economics and Humanities & Social Science, could BIO 110 be used in lieu of BIO 111 or would this not be approved?

A: Yes, however colleges are encouraged to utilize the required course.

Q: Core Requirement of the Principles of Accreditation notes that each undergraduate degree program must have a general education component consisting of a minimum of 25% of the total credit hours.  The examples provided in the four tracks in the College Transfer Pathway all contained approximately 31 credit hours, and extrapolating the SACS requirement to the certificate programs, there would need to be eight credit hours which is not a problem at the certificate level.  This will not be the case for students moving on to the bachelor’s degree level where they will need to have a minimum of 30 credit hours.  Please note that ENG 111 and ENG 112 or 113 cannot be used to satisfy general education requirements per SACS (see Handbook for Institutions Seeking Reaffirmation, March 2011 edition, page 76).  Our concern is that students moving through one of these certificate programs will not have completed their general education; are our senior institutions aware of this?  This concern is reinforced by the language found in a previous edition of College Transfer Certificates.  Was this language changed to address the fact that students will not have completed their general education component of a bachelor’s degree?

A: Students who complete the CT pathway have not met all of their general education requirements. Students should be advised to complete the 44 hour core as described in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement in order to complete the general education requirements.

Q: What documentation, for auditing purposes, will be required for the student’s file to show the criteria was met to enter one of the pathways?

A: The student’s high school transcript will include both the GPA and the PLAN score. A student who has not taken PLAN may provide official test results using another approved assessment. In addition, the high school principal or his/her designee will verify that the student is eligible to enroll; in subsequent semesters, the high school principal will verify that the student is continuing to make progress towards graduation. DPI is still working on how this verification will be documented.

Q: We are looking at a CTE pathway for associate degree nursing.  Since students can’t take NUR courses without being accepted into the nursing program, we were wondering about developing a CTE pathway that would focus on the related courses required in the program such as BIO 168 and 169, PSY 150, and CIS 111 for example.  Is this feasible?

A: No, if the college cannot admit high schools students into a nursing program, the college also cannot admit high school students into a Nursing certificate.

Q: On the Engineering and Math CT pathway 2 math courses are required; MAT 171 or higher is required – do we have to select MAT 171 or a higher math, or can we leave that statement and give the student math options?

A: Colleges should select a specific MAT course to meet the requirement. Students who test out of the selected course may be enrolled in a higher-level course.

Q: Can any of the courses say “or higher” for the CT pathway or are we strictly limited to a single course for each prefix?  We noticed that some CT pathways say “or higher” for math and were not certain if this might be an option for other prefixes.

A: The “or higher” provision for math allows a college to enroll a student who tests out of the math course into a higher level math course.

Q: Are colleges required to offer all 4 CT pathways?

A: No. However, colleges are encouraged to as many CT pathways as possible and as locally feasible.

Q: Can adult students who are currently enrolled or who have past credits and wish to re-enroll, apply past coursework to the CT pathway and complete it now?

A: Adult students should be enrolled in the 44-hour diploma or the associate degree program.

Q: Can a student begin the CT or CTE pathway at one community college and transfer to another community college? Is so, what if the original college has utilized a “substitute literature? Is the receiving institution required to accept the substitute course?

A: Yes, provided the student maintains his/her eligibility for continued enrollment. The substitute literature course must be accepted by the receiving institution as long as the substitute course was on the original college’s approved program of study.

Q: Can a student enroll in a higher level math than the math listed in the pathway?

A: Yes, a student may take a higher level math course if the college offers it. The college simply makes a course substitution.

Q: Can colleges allow engineering course substitutions for the Math & Engineering pathway?

A: The four college transfer pathways are comprised of general education courses that lead to completion of the 44-hour core. Since engineering courses are pre-major courses, the substitution of an engineering course for a general education course is not allowed.

High School/Department of Public Instruction

Q: Will the CCP students receive weighted high school credit for completing college courses?

A: According to the Department of Public Instruction, the State Board of Education has a policy that all college transfer courses receive weighted (honors) credit.

Q: What is the minimum number of high school credits that a CCP student must take?

A: There is no minimum number of high school credits that a CCP student must take.

Q: Other than some selected math courses, are there any other community college courses that DPI will allow to count towards high school core course graduation requirements?

A: Yes. Some CTE college courses may count towards high school CTE core requirements.

Q: Who is responsible for advising the CC high school students?

A: Advising is primarily the responsibility of the high school. However, the students may also seek advising from the college staff.

Q: If a student is taking a general education course (ex. PSY 150) fall semester but did not place into college math, are they grandfathered in for the spring semester or do they need to take the math placement test or have appropriate scores for PLAN or PSAT in order to take another general education course.

A: If the student is enrolled fall semester 2011 and makes a grade of “C” or better in the college course, he/she is grandfathered for the spring 2012 semester. However, the student must the course prerequisite requirements.

Q: Can current high school students’ past college course credits be applied towards their CCP pathway completion credit requirements?

A: Yes.

Q: Are high school students still eligible to dual enroll in continuing education courses such as fire classes, defensive driving, etc…?

A: Several community colleges have asked whether high school students were permitted to continue taking previously authorized community college continuing education courses under the new Career & College Promise legislation.  The effect of the Career & College Promise legislation on high school students taking continuing education courses has potentially created unintended consequences and created some ambiguity.  As such, the System Office is actively pursuing legislative clarification to address high school students’ ability to take continuing education courses.  While the System Office pursues this legislative clarification, community colleges should continue to offer continuing education courses to high school students.

Q: Do we understand correctly that there is no minimum class attendance requirement for these students?

A: High school students enrolled in community college courses should be held to the same rigorous attendance and academic requirements as adult students.

Q: Does the requirement that CCP students maintain at least a 2.0 on college coursework (after two classes) apply to all three pathways, including the Cooperative Innovative High School? 

A: High school students enrolled in the CT or the CTE pathway must maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA on all college coursework to continue their enrollment at the college. High school students must also be progressing toward high school graduation. Colleges should use their current student progression rules for CIHSPs.

Q: What constitutes “continue to make progress toward high school graduation”?  Does this mean that a student can take only college courses (no high school courses) since they receive dual credit? 

A: The LEA, home school administrator, or private high school administrator will monitor student academic progress to ensure that students are progressing towards high school completion.

Q: What is the minimum number of hours that high school students need to be at the high school?

A: High schools themselves have minimum hours. Student hours can vary based on their schedules and student flexibility varies according to the flexibility allowed at the high school.

Q: If a high school student completes all high school requirements in December (eligible to graduate) can he/she continue with the courses, tuition exempt, even if he/she has no high school classes?  Or does the student need to “save” one high school course for spring semester?

A: Students in the 11th or 12th grade can participate in the CCP program. A student that has not graduated from high school and that meets all of the eligibility requirements can enroll in the program.

Q: Does a high school student have to be present a minimum number of hours at the high school to be sports eligible?

A: There may be special sports restrictions for high school students. Student athletes should contact the NC High School Athletic Association for additional information.

Q: For funding purposes, if a student takes all their classes at the college, are they not counted as a high school student (i.e., no ADM)?

A: As long as the student is enrolled and has not been deemed a high school graduate, the student is eligible to participate in the CCP program.

Q: Since students will receive both high school and college credit, how will grades be reported to the high schools?

A: Colleges should transcript high school student grades using its regular grade reporting procedures.

Q: May colleges continue to provide programming to CIHSPs that do not meet the new legislative definition for CIHSPs? 

A: The legislation states that CIHSPs approved by the State Board of Education prior to July 1, 2011 shall meet the definitions specified in the legislation by no later than July 1, 2014.  Therefore, colleges may continue to fulfill the partnership agreements that have been approved by the State Board of Education and the State Board of Community Colleges until further review in 2014.

College Transfer

Q: CT pathway completers – are they considered Freshman or as Transfer students when they enter College – and how will that affect scholarships that are only available to Freshman?

A: Classification as freshman or transfer students will be determined by the four-year college or university that the student is applying to.

Q: Do we have assurance that MCR will be met by completion of the CT pathway? Current MCR guidelines indicate that completion of diploma, degree, or specific courses will meet.

A: The System Office and UNC General Administration are working collaboratively to address the MCR and MAR. Students that complete the 44 transfer core are eligible for all transfer guarantees listed in the CAA.

Q: Specifically for MAT, I am concerned that neither MAT 161 nor MAT 171 currently meet MCR–students need to complete both MAT 171 and MAT 172 to meet MCR.

A: The System Office and UNC General Administration are working collaboratively to address the MCR and MAR.   Students should be advised to complete the associate degree or the 44 hour general education core prior to transferring.

Q: What are the codes for the Core 44 College Transfer Pathways?

A: The Core 44 College Transfer Pathway Codes are: P1012A, P1012B, P1042A and P1042B.


Career & College Promise Link on CFNC

Career & College Promise Link on NCCCS