2023 Grad Spotlight: Sherry Ramos Martinez

Sherry Adrienne Ramos Martinez celebrated two graduations in May. On May 12, she received her associate of science degree from Gaston College and on May 26 she earned her diploma from Ashbrook High School. Sherry joined the iAccelerate program at Ashbrook, which gave her the opportunity to take free college courses through the College Now program at Gaston College and earn credits toward an associate degree while also completing her high school education. She began attending Gaston College in the spring 2021 semester. 

Sherry will attend UNC-Chapel Hill in fall 2023, majoring in Nursing with a minor in Spanish for the Healthcare Professions. “My goal is to be a nurse and work to help people in the Hispanic community,” she said. “I hope that by breaking the language barrier I can provide my community the care they deserve.” 

For Sherry, the best part of the College Now program was meeting her peers and the friendships she has formed. “Having normal high school experiences while completing my associate degree was a great aspect of the program,” she said. 

She also appreciated the learning environment at Gaston College and the instructors’ dedication to teaching. She said, “I was never afraid to reach out or ask questions because I felt they were always willing to help.” 

With its tuition-free courses, the College Now dual-enrollment program puts qualified high school students on the path to a four-year college degree or a credential to get them into the workforce faster. Sherry took the opportunity and is well on her way to an excellent education and a rewarding professional career.