Gaston College SGA Senator Kayla Grigg will graduate with her high school diploma and an Associate in Arts degree

For Kayla Grigg, serving as a Student Government Association Senator meant representing the voice of students and sharing with instructors, advisors, and lead staff what the student experience is like at Gaston College. Grigg is a student in Gaston Early College High School, which offered her the opportunity to receive a high school diploma while earning an Associate in Arts degree from Gaston College.

Female sitting and smiling

Upon learning that she was accepted into the GECHS program, Grigg initially had anxiety about her ability to succeed. “Being a first-generation high school and college graduate,” said Grigg, “I was extremely insecure about whether I would be capable of getting to the point of graduation. However, over the past four years, I accomplished far more than what my eighth grade, insecure self ever thought I could.”

Growing up, Grigg enjoyed team sports but GECHS does not have a sports program so her freshman year there was a difficult adjustment. However, she decided to get involved in organizations on the Dallas Campus of Gaston College, where GECHS is located. She was invited to join Gamma Beta Phi, an honors society which is the College’s largest club. Through Gamma Beta Phi she heard that Renita Johnson, Director of Student Activities and Special Projects at Gaston College, was looking for members to get involved with the SGA. “I automatically knew I wanted to be a part of this,” Grigg said, “because I genuinely love showing school pride.” She was elected as SGA Senator by the student body.

The experience of serving on the SGA Senate taught Grigg that “life is simply what you make it,” and she approached her classes and responsibilities as a member of SGA and other campus organizations whole-heartedly. “I realized that I can do anything I set my mind to, but through the help of advisors, guidance counselors, friends and family, I also realized that it is okay not to be able to do everything on my own. I can go through this school journey making memories and enjoying my time.”

Grigg, who is 18 years old, will continue her education at Gardner-Webb University as a member of the Honors College and is considering majoring in Healthcare Management. “It is because of my journey at Gaston College that my academic skills are where they need to be to complete university level work,” she said. “Being a Student Ambassador and a part of the SGA, Men of Excellence, Gamma Beta Phi and the Gaston Early College High School has allowed me to grow as a person and student. I have learned to be myself and allow my unique personality to add to the task set in front of me.”

About Gaston Early College High School

Gaston Early College High School (GECHS) is an innovative high school located on the Dallas Campus of Gaston College. The Early College High School is operated by Gaston College and Gaston County Schools through a joint partnership.

This exclusive, non-traditional high school offers Gaston County students a unique opportunity to receive a high school diploma while earning an Associate in Arts degree from Gaston College. GECHS offers state-of-the-art technology and rigorous academics. Students take college courses at no additional cost, and after graduation, they may transfer to a four-year college or university.

For further information on GECHS, visit the Gaston Early College High School website.