Both the CDC and WHO recommend everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases and other viruses.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately. Let them know if you have traveled to a location with a COVID-19 outbreak or have had contact with someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Additional information from the CDC: