Here are some sources for free or cheap software that you may find useful. We are providing this list in an effort to help you, and we make no guarantees and accept no liability for your use of the software listed on this page.
Many of the security (spam, virus, pop-up ad, spyware, firewall) programs have some overlap in what they do, so you don't have to get one of each.
See also Microsoft's Online Safety site.
Even if you already have antivirus software installed on your computer, check to make sure that it is set up to download the latest virus definitions updates automatically. If you have a virus scanner like MacAfee or Norton, you'll need to renew your subscription whenever it expires in order to get the latest updates. (New viruses are discovered all the time! If you're not updating your virus definitions frequently, you'll only be protected from the viruses that were known when you last updated.)
- Comodo Antivirus - free forever, real-time scanning, daily automatic updates.
- Trend Micro HouseCall - free online PC scanner, scans your computer for viruses - this doesn't continually scan new files like typical AntiVirus software does.
- Avast - Free
- AVG Anti-Virus - Free and Pro (still cheap) versions.
- If you get your email through AOL, Yahoo, Gmail, etc, you probably already have spam filtering available - check the help information.
- Comodo AntiSpam - free, supports custom black/white lists, accepts your address book, etc. Uses a challenge-response graphic.
Stops hackers from getting into your computer. This software is HIGHLY recommended if you have a constant connection to the internet, like a cable or DSL modem. Some firewalls also include virus and spam blockers. Here are a few choices:
- Comodo Free Firewall - free, lifetime license.
- ZoneAlarm - available as a free download or a Pro version. The Pro version is still pretty cheap and includes popup ad blocking and email virus filtering, among other goodies.
- Sunbelt Personal Firewall - Has both a free version and a cheap version. Firewall keeps intruders out and also blocks popup windows and online ads.
- Outpost Firewall PRO - free 30-day trial, cheap to buy. Includes anti-spyware, and blocks pop-up and banner ads.
- Sygate Personal Firewall - free to try, cheap to buy, also protects against spyware.
- OpenOffice - a free alternative to Microsoft Office.
- Firefox - a free web browser alternative to Internet Explorer
- Thunderbird - a free email program
- Comodo BackUp - free backup software - protect your data with regular backups!
- Comodo Free Products - A list of all free utility software provided by Comodo.
Many of the firewall programs listed below also block popup ads. In addition, recent versions of Firefox and Internet Explorer will also block popups.
Removes SpyWare from you computer. SpyWare programs are typically piggybacked on software that you download, such as screensavers, music sharing programs, etc, or they can also come through email. They monitor your internet activity and send that data to someone else, generally to use in marketing.
- AdAware - Free, or Pro and Plus versions available cheap
- Spy Sweeper - Free to try, cheap to buy
Your Use of Third Party Sites
Our sites contain links to other Internet sites owned by third parties. Your use of each of those sites is subject to the conditions, if any, that each of those sites has posted. We have no control over sites that are not ours and we are not responsible for any changes to or content on them. Our inclusion on our sites of any third party content or a link to a third party site is not an endorsement of that content or third party site.
We do not sell, resell or license any of the products or services that we review or list on our sites, and we disclaim any responsibility for or liability related to them. Your correspondence or related activities with third parties, including payment transactions and goods delivery transactions, are solely between you and that third party. You agree that we will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any of your transactions with third parties. Any questions, complaints or claims related to any product or service should be directed to the appropriate vendor.