All applicants must complete Gaston College general admission requirements and the Veterinary Technology Admission requirements to be considered for the Veterinary Technology Program.
Applications for the Veterinary Medical Technology Program are accepted from the first Monday in October until the third Friday in April by 4 pm. All applications, test scores, and volunteer/shadowing verification forms are due into the Veterinary Medical Technology office in the David Belk Cannon Health Education Building, office 104 by the third Friday in April by 4 pm.
Applicants to the Veterinary Medical Technology Program must meet the following criteria for consideration for admission into the program and granted a personal interview with the admissions committee of the Vet tech program:
GASTON COLLEGE GENERAL ADMISSIONS
Refer to the Gaston College Admissions Department website for detailed information. http://www.gaston.edu/admissions/info.php
- Complete and submit Gaston College application located on the Gaston College Admissions website: http://www.gaston.edu/admissions/info.php
- Transcripts: Submit an official high school transcript. (Refer to www.gaston.edu or the Gaston College Academic catalog for other documentation required in place of an official high school transcript)
- Request that your high school mail an official high school transcript to:
Office of Admissions
201 Highway 321 South
Dallas, NC 28034-1499
- Note: Request that all colleges/universities previously attended submit official transcripts to above address.
3. Take placement test: See the Testing Center website for detailed information;http://www.gaston.edu/admissions/testing_placement.php
Take the COMPASS placement test. If you have taken the TEAS V, COMPASS, and/or ASSET within the past five years at another college or university, please request that the scores be submitted to the Admissions Office. For information call 704.922.6214.
- College Placement Exam: COMPASS test and completion of any identified developmental courses are *required prior to acceptance into the Veterinary Medical Technology Program.
- The following minimum COMPASS scores are required for admission into the Vet Tech Program:
Writing ≥ 70 Reading ≥ 81 *Pre- Algebra ≥ 47 *Algebra ≥ 46
- *If Compass scores require developmental math, the student may be accepted on a contingency basis. If accepted, the student must successfully complete the class with a “C” or higher by the end of the first semester in the program. If this is not completed, the student will be dismissed from the program.
4. Apply for financial assistance (if applicable). FAFSA forms available January 2013, Scholarship forms available January 2013 and due by March 31, 2013. Refer to the Gaston College Financial Aid Department for specific information regarding financial aid:http://www.gaston.edu/admissions/finaid_general_info/index.php
VETERINARY MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY ADMISSIONS: The following must be received by the Veterinary Medical Technology department by the third Friday in April of the year they wish to enter the program.
Please deliver all of the following application requirements to the Veterinary Technology office in the David Belk Cannon Health Education Building, room 104 to guarantee they are received by the program by the deadline.
1. Complete application form for Veterinary Medical Technology Program.
This application form may be obtained by calling (704) 922-6469, the Vet Tech Department extension or requesting an application by emailing Burgess.Barbara@gaston.edu or Blankenship.Kristine@gaston.edu
Applications will be accepted beginning on the first Monday in October of each year.
2. College entrance exam: See the Testing Center website for detailed information;http://www.gaston.edu/admissions/testing_placement.php. Students must take the following and meet the minimum scores to be considered for the Veterinary Medical Technology program.
TEAS V: $35.00 per test
3.Submit a “Work Experience Verification Form”. All applicants are required to complete a minimum of 40 hours of volunteer /shadowing experience in a veterinary setting (veterinary clinic/hospital, humane group with licensed veterinarian on staff, animal shelter/control facility with licensed veterinarian on staff).
Volunteer/Shadowing Verification Form
This form should be mailed directly to the Vet Tech Department by the person filling out the form. This form may be obtained by calling (704) 922-6469, the Vet Tech Department extension or requesting an application by emailing Burgess.Barbara@gaston.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Transfer Credits. College level courses will be considered for transfer credit upon receipt of an applicant's transcript. All students with college level courses should meet with a counselor in the Gaston College Counseling Center to discuss which courses will be transferred. Medical Terminology and Chemistry courses must be current within 10 years to be considered for transfer credit. Computer courses must be current within 5 years to be considered for transfer credit.
Once all of the above admission criteria are met, applicants will be contacted for a personal interview with the Veterinary Medical Technology Admissions Committee.
Applicants will be notified by mail of their admission status by the Veterinary Technology Department Chairman. Those students who are not admitted to the Veterinary Medical Technology Program may reapply the following year. Students reapplying for admission must meet the admission requirements current at the time of their most recent application.