Civil Engineering Technology is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
Student Enrollment and Graduation Data:
Civil Engineering Technology, A.A.S.
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates will demonstrate:
- Technical competence for the practice of engineering technology in their field; those who transfer to a four-year engineering technology program will demonstrate the ability to perform at least on par with their peers in that program.
- Understanding of the importance of life-long learning and continue to expand their knowledge and skills beyond the formal education they received at Gaston College.
- The ability to effectively lead, work, and communicate in a professional environment on interdisciplinary teams.
- Critical thinking skills in identifying, analyzing and solving engineering technology problems in their field.
- Professionalism and high standards of professional ethics.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of civil engineering technology to narrowly defined engineering technology activities.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to civil engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles but extensive practical knowledge.
- Demonstrate an ability to conduct standard civil engineering technology tests and measurements, and to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments.
- Demonstrate an ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify, analyze, and solve narrowly defined civil engineering technology problems.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and nontechnical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity.
- Demonstrate a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
- Use graphic techniques to produce engineering documents.
- Conduct standardized field and laboratory testing on civil engineering materials.
- Use modern surveying methods for land measurement and/or construction layout.
- Determine forces and stresses in elementary structural systems.
- Estimate material quantities for civil engineering technology projects.
- Employ productivity software to solve civil engineering technology problems.