- Attend a mandatory orientation session: (See schedule and orientation dates.)
- Be at least 18 years old: Student graduates under 21 years old can drive only within North Carolina.
- Hold a valid North Carolina Driver’s License with no limiting restrictions.
- Be able to read and speak English well enough to take instructions from highway signs, to converse with officials, and complete the required reports. (FMCSR 391.11)
- High school or college transcript
- Reading Placement Test with a minimum 8th grade reading level or better or present high school or GED® transcript showing graduation from high school or completion of GED® to register. Please bring an official copy of your test results with you to registration unless testing at CCC&TI in Hudson, where your grade will be in our student records.
- Acquire a North Carolina Class A permit with no limiting restrictions before the highway-driving portion of your training or no later than hour 135 of the class.
- Pass a DOT physical and/or hold a valid (12 month minimum) DOT medical card. This should be completed by the 1st day of class. A current medical card is required to drive on the road.
- Complete and Pass a DOT drug screen by the 1st day of class. Negative results are required to get onto a truck and remain in class. (Drug screen information included in packet.)
- Show proof of permanent residency: All immigrants must have proper paperwork.
Due to the strict requirements and restrictions of most trucking companies you must also have:
- A current Motor Vehicle Record with no convictions in the past 3 years of: DUI, refusal to take a chemical test, hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident, careless and reckless driving, a preventable accident, or speeding 15 mph over the limit.
- No felony or major misdemeanor convictions in the past 5 years, based on completion of sentence.
Note: Meeting these requirements will not guarantee you a position as a driver after course completion. Each trucking company has their own list of requirements; some more strict than what’s listed above.