Gaston College is introducing a Summer Camp program that features a variety of short courses for teens from age 13 to 18.
The following programs will be offered:
- A-321 Advanced Manufacturing: (Ages 13-18) Fun and interactive lab sessions will introduce teens to the skills they can acquire through an apprenticeship or career in advanced manufacturing. Campers will discover how goods are produced through tours to local manufacturing facilities.
- Adulting 101: (Ages 16-18) Teens will learn some life skills that every adult should have, including the basics of car maintenance, balancing and budgeting finances, job search skills, healthy eating on a budget, and yoga for stress management.
- Creative Writing Workshop: (Ages 14-18) Campers will produce one short work of fiction and one poem, utilizing writing workshop and writers’ group models. Participants will learn approaches to creative writing and the writing process and will receive feedback from peers and workshop facilitators.
- CSI: (Ages 14-18) Learn the techniques behind evidence recovery, crime scene investigation, fingerprinting, suspect identification, and criminal investigation in this interactive camp.
- First Aid and CPR: (Ages 14-18) Campers will be trained in BLS (Basic Life Support) CPR, First Aid, and AED (Automated External Defibrillator) skills. On the last day of the three-day course, students will take a test to earn certification in these skills.
- Personal Safety and Defense 101: (Ages 13-18) This course is designed for teens to learn personal safety, awareness, and self-defense, using their bodies and everyday objects that may be easily accessible. Activities like a scavenger hunt, partner practice, improvisational games, and a charades session will demonstrate techniques and practices that reinforce the lessons.
- STEM Camp for Teens: Exploring Textile Engineering, Design, and Manufacturing: (Ages 14-18) Students will learn how STEM disciplines are utilized in the modern textile industry and will participate in engineering design project teams and go on a field trip to visit local textile companies.
To register your child, visit WebAdvisor
- Click on Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes
- Inside the Search For (Key Word) box type camp, and
- Click on SUBMIT
- Select the camp(s) you would like your child to attend and click on SUBMIT
- complete the personal information form for registration and click on SUBMIT
- Under the General Registration Form select CONTINUING EDUCATION and click on SUBMIT
- Under the Additional Registration Form click on SUBMIT (NOTE: No additional information is REQUIRED on this screen)
- Complete the Pay For Classes Screen and click on SUBMIT to complete the payment process.